Uncle Mud (aka Chris McClellan) raises free-range, organic children in suburban Ohio. He has been using natural building as his soapbox to preach self-reliance and community empowerment, since 2004. Building houses, pizza ovens, and woodstoves with mud and junk is his way of sharing the Can-Do spirit. He writes, teaches workshops and hosts a mud pit and DIY building demonstrations at Fairs across the US. Check out our videos on Youtube. Follow us on Facebook. Support Uncle Mud on Patreon.
Uncle Mud has Experience Building with:
- Cob/Cobb Buildings and Structures
- Earthen Ovens
- Rocket Mass Heaters (Including Greenhouse and Hot Tub Heaters)
- Outdoor Kitchens
- Straw Bale
- Round Timber-Framing
- Natural Roofs
- Bottle Walls
- Light Straw-Clay
- Earthen Plasters
- Milk Paints
- Rubble Stone Foundation
- Tree Houses
- Salvaged and Scrounged Materials
Uncle Mud can be Regularly Found:
- In Jamaica, hosting eco-tourism builds educating locals and visitors on building with local resources including clay and discarded glass bottles.
- Giving hands-on demos and lectures at Mother Earth News Fairs across the country
- At Camp Firebird Roosevelt as an Artist in Residence designing and leading camper-built art and building installations of cob and timber.
- Anywhere there is mud and fire to play with. Check out our events page and projects page for more information.
Uncle Mud is available for eco learning events such as lectures, hands-on demonstrations and workshops. Our Mud Pit is a particular favorite at fairs, where we also help people get their hands (and feet) dirty learning cob, straw-clay, plastering, and more. Visit our Events page to see when we will be in your neighborhood.
Uncle Mud is available by phone (440) 941-5073, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, video chat, or in person. We can help you design or build your Natural Home, or interface with code officials. Rates start at $55 per half hour or $650 for 10-hours. In person consultation may incur additional costs. Significant discounts are available for larger blocks of time.
Workshops & Internships
Every year Uncle Mud hosts multiple hands-on Natural Building workshops to fit your schedule from an afternoon to two week cottage builds to month long positions. We have intern opportunities available on several of our jobs, so if you want hands-on learning reach out to us.